Monday, April 11, 2011

Testimony from Elphia

I was here in Maesai in 2007 for my 1st mission trip to Northern Thailand. That time, Samuel Lim, a fellow Singaporean, was the missionary coordinating and sharing the Shan work in Maesai. I remembered him sharing something that striked my heart. He shared about giving his firstfruits to the Lord. He just finished from National Service in Singapore and was seeking the Lord for the will of his life. So he wanted to give his firstfruits, his youth, to the Lord for His work n His purpose. He planned to come for 3 months ST mission and God has other plans for him. In all, he stayed for about 4 years or so. I was challenged and started to ask questions about my faith and my obedience. Here I met a fellow Singaporean, who's so much different from the youth I know back home. Different in his priorities in life, his obedience, his sacrifice, his love for the Lord. What am I doing with my youth, my life? Am I truly seeking Him? Am I contented to serve my Lord within my comfort zone? If the Lord to put a burden on me, will I be obedient to follow?


I started praying and asking God to reveal His plans to me. I started preparing myself spiritually, emotionally and started to reading the Word of God more. I see how the Lord opens the way for me. In 2007 and 2008, God blesses me with 2 promotions at work. Which is a miracle cos it's not common to have a promotion back to back. Financially, I became more secured and started to save more money. I started to get my church n friends to pray for me. And I told my family and my church my plans to serve Him in the mission field for 2 years.


Consent from my mother was what I thought the most difficult and impossible. I was ready to even resign from my job as a teacher in Singapore. My mother was very unwilling to let me go to Northern Thailand all by myself at first. But God softened her heart. She saw my determination and eventually gave me her blessings. I took a 2-years-No-Pay-Leave to come serve as a Volunteer English teacher in Thailand. It's another impossible request made possible only by the hands of God. I wrote in to the ministry to apply for leave stating clearly n truthfully that the purpose of my leave is to serve God in mission in Thailand. It was approved! My principal from school told me that it's rare for the ministry to approve such excerptionally leave reason. So I knew immediately God is paving the way for me.


As I am writing this, I am concluding my service here in Maesai. In my heart, there's many mixed emotions. God has been so good to me these past 20 months. I have learnt so many valuable lessons from Him. Some of the lessons are not so pleasant but each one of them helps me to grow more in Him and my heart fulls n overpours with thanksgiving and gratitude.


I will take home with me every single precious memories, experiences, the smiling faces of the people here. I thank God for His faithfulness, His love, His comfort. Being my best friend and the Father I missed.


Lord Jesus. I love you. And I thank you. I want to follow you for the rest of my life. Thank you for your love and giving me my identity in you. I am a beloved child of God. You are my Lord, my Father, my Saviour. May every living creature on this earth praise and give honour to you and your Name. Amen.




In Christ, elphia

No comments: